Saturday, June 29, 2013

Worship in Glasgow

I was very much looking forward to Sunday worship in Glasgow. We decided that we would go to the Glasgow Cathedral and worship with the Scottish Presbyterian Church that is active there.
The different parts of the service were very familiar, and it was wonderful to be with the Glasgow locals and visitors from around the world.  The pastor preached an excellent sermon on facing and living through the struggles that will come our way during life. Following the service, we were greeted warmly by church members.
I never know when I visit other churches whether to reveal to the pastor, that I too am a pastor. But in this case, I let the pastor know that I was an American Presbyterian Pastor on sabbatical. I wanted him to know that a colleague found his sermon meaningful.
Following our time with the congregation, we found a place right around the corner for lunch. While there, I had a conversation with a fellow who was waiting around for "the tour." I asked him, "what tour," and he replied that a sculpter was getting ready to give a tour of the architecture of the Glasgow Necropolis (graveyard). Brooke, and I thought this would be a wonderful opportunity to learn something about sepulchral art. So we tagged along.

 
 
The tour turned out to be a fundraiser by a local Hospice Hospital, and we discovered afterwards that the fellow giving the tour was Sandy Stoddart. He is the Sculptor in Ordinary to The Queen in Scotland.This was one of those providential, serendipitous moments that come along rarely.
After the tour, we wandered around Glasgow taking in the sites and then headed back to our B&B before the subway stopped running.


No comments:

Post a Comment